Living Green Events - Now Thru March
$$$ MARCH SUSTAINABILITY SAVINGS Tip $$$
Resources to help you save water are overflowing in this month's tip, THIRSTY FOR SIMPLE WAYS TO SAVE WATER [PDF]
Check out these March/April events to help you save water
- SRP Water Conservation Expo is a FREE event Sat. Mar. 4. Purchase a smart controller at a greatly reduced price, see Dave the Garden Guy, Mesa and Water – Use It Wisely will be there and more!
- Fix a Leak Week is March 20-26 and EPA will help you detect and chase down leaks!
- Water Awareness Month is the month of April and there are 30 days of local ideas to help you save.
- Ntl. Mayor’s Challenge for Water Conservation is in April, take the pledge to save water, win prizes.
- Water – Use It Wisely Drab to Fab Backyard Rehab Contest is from mid-April to May. Learn tips to Xeriscape your yard with beautiful desert plants, then enter to win a $9K landscape makeover!
~ MARK YOUR CALENDAR! ~
March 2, 5:30-7:30 p.m.: Green Living Magazine March Issue Launch Party: We are sponsoring this fun event and will be there to talk to you about Mesa’s earth-friendly programs. The event is taking place on Thur. at Benedictine University, 225 E Main St. Launch parties promote the latest magazine issue and allow attendees to meet green businesses and enjoy appetizers and drinks from local vendors. Use the link above for more information or to RSVP.
Now thru March: the Arizona SciTech Festival for hundreds of free events happening across the Valley. It’s Arizona’s BIGGEST celebration of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math). Over 800 organizations have partnered to showcase the science all around us.
March 11, 7 p.m.: Ride-in-Movies at the Park. Ride your bicycles or walk and join us for FREE movies in the park every month through May. Don’t miss The Secret Life of Pets at Guerrero Park, 205 W 8th Ave.
March 17-18: Spark! Mesa’s Festival of Creativity. Join this immersive environment with musical performances, food, fun and creative activities for the whole family! This event is amazing fun. Mesa Arts Center, 1 E. Main Street, Noon – 10 p.m.
March 25, 8:30-9:30 p.m.: Earth Hour. This worldwide event celebrates your commitment to the planet with your friends, family, community or at work - in your own way. A simple action can be just turning off all non-essential lights from 8.30 to 9:30 p.m.
March 25, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.: Falcon Field Airport Open House – Get a close look at unique aircraft, classic cars, model railroads, food, music and more at 4636 E Fighter Aces Drive.
April 1: Cyclomesa – This amazing Bicycle Festival in downtown Mesa is a fun-filled day of all things bicycle including El Tour de Mesa, BMX Freestyle Show and so much more. It's FREE! BRING YOUR BIKE!
April 8, 8 a.m. – Noon: Household Hazardous Waste Collection – It's great weather to clean out the garage. Bring your items such as pesticides, paint, appliances and chemicals that you no longer use and we'll provide safe disposal. 2412 N. Center Street.
April 22, Noon – 4 p.m.: Mark your calendar for Celebrate Mesa taking place this year at Hohokam Stadium, 1235 N. Center Street. Stop by our 'Living Green Village' as we celebrate Earth Day. If you'd like to showcase your green or sustainable programs, contact us.
+ + MESA URBAN GARDEN (MUG) NEWS! (Located at 212 E. 1st Ave.) + +
Garden Bed Rental - Use the cost of two monthly lattes to instead rent a garden bed at MUG! There are different rental packages available. Contact Laurie.
Feb. 25: Seed Share and Q&A with Catherine, The Herb Lady. Stop by the garden at 1:30 p.m. Sat. to get free seeds to plant or expand your garden. Get your seeds in now for edible success and bounty before the heat sets in!
Learn more at www.facebook.com/MesaUrbanGarden
~ SUSTAINABILITY NEWS ~
SUSTAINABILITY DIGEST: You wouldn’t believe the amazing programs at ASU. The Julie Ann Wrigley Global Institute of Sustainability provides a list monthly of seminars, meetings, colloquiums, lectures, brown bags, announcements of interest, and job opportunities to the community.
ARBOR DAY POSTER CONTEST: The theme is “My Favorite Tree and Me” – for Arizona youth from grades K-12. This year’s contest is intended to highlight special trees in our communities and the relationship we have with trees where we live and play. Entry deadline is March 27.
Dobson Ranch Park introduces new universally inclusive playground This new playground invites all children regardless of abilities the opportunity to play, including equipment for sensory play, quiet space and side-by-side play/climbing. Located at Dobson Ranch Park playground, 2539 S. Dobson Rd.
++ BONUS TIPS ++
Check out Water - Use It Wisely's Plant of the Month feature on Texas Mountain Laurel and Eremophila’s (Winter Blaze, Blue Bells and Valentine) to see some colorful, top performing desert plants to add diversity to your landscape. Get information like this and more water conservation tips, money saving advice and local landscape workshops straight to your inbox! Sign up for Water – Use It Wisely's enewsletter and you'll even have a chance to win a $50 gift card. Winners are announced every month!
DRAB TO FAB BACKYARD REHAB. Want to learn what steps to take to landscape your yard? Check out the process/videos/blogs and links when we followed our 2016 contest winner’s landscape installation. The great news? We’re repeating the contest. Stay tuned in April for news on when you can enter.
- Yard waste: Although you cannot place green yard waste in the blue barrel, it does not have to go into the landfill. The City of Mesa does offer a Green Barrel Program for this material.
- Paper towels/napkins: You cannot put paper towels, napkins, tissues or paper plates into the blue barrel. You should, however, always look for products that are made of recycled materials. This creates a market for the recycled materials and turns them into a useful product again.
- Get a compost container for $5 and you can turn a lot of the material mentioned above into compost!
GREEN CARS – Check out Greencars’ list of the greenest cars for 2017!
OTHER LOCAL EVENTS!
- Feb. 25: Tree Festival and Climbing Championship This state competition for professional arborist/tree climbers is an amazing event to watch! Spectators are welcome to come and spend an enjoyable day the shade of the amazing trees at Esteban Park, 3345 E. Roeser Rd. in Phoenix. Bring a picnic and blanket to watch the day’s activities. Fun for kids, find food trucks including Waffle Crush (oh, my favorite!).
- March 2: Green Building Lecture Series by City of Scottsdale: 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. Water Efficient Products and Treatment Alternatives. Get the details and see the spring program schedule.
- March 11: 6th Annual Run for World Water – help Water for People reduce water poverty in developing countries at the 5K run, 1K walk or Kid’s Lollipop Run.
- March 16: Birds n’ Beer at Audubon Arizona, 3131 S. Central Ave features lively, entertaining presentations about birds, wildlife and conservation in a happy hour style environment. Craft Beer, wine and snacks available.
- Plant Sales!
- Learn more about our sustainability programs!
- Follow me on Twitter, https://twitter.com/LivingGreenMesa
- Learn more about our water conservation and recycling programs
- Sign up for this newsletter (and our watering reminder) at our eNotifications page.