Living Green Events for May
$$$ MAY SUSTAINABILITY SAVINGS Tip $$$
SMARTER LIGHTING FOR A BRIGHTER FUTURE – Installing a Light Bulb is No Joke.
- Purchasing Guide: find this helpful guide at Energy Star.
- Disposal/Recycling: CFLs contain a small amount of mercury, and LEDs may contain small amounts of nickel or lead that can be recycled. Deliver to Mesa’s Household Hazardous Waste events for disposal/recycling.
+ + MESA URBAN GARDEN (MUG) NEWS! + +
(Located at 212 E. 1st Ave.)
- Garden Bed Rental– Bed rentals are available or you can sponsor a bed for the local food banks! Contact Laurie.
- MUG has a touching and amazing story to tell. View the video here.
- Do you have books to donate to our Little Library? We always need books, adults and youth.
- Free yoga Saturday May 6 at 8:30 a.m. for an hour of stretching and de stress from the week. Sat. yoga starts at 8:30 am every First Saturday of the month to go along with our Yoga in the evening every 3rd Wednesday of the month. It's FREE!
++ BONUS TIPS ++
DRAB-TO-FAB BACKYARD REHAB CONTEST!–Don’t miss your chance to win a landscape makeover package valued at $9,000! We are so excited about repeating our spring contest with Water – Use It Wisely! Check out our 10-Part Video Series from last year’s winning yard and lots of tips and advice on how to update your backyard into a beautiful Xeriscape and help your yard drink responsibly! Deadline is May 31!
Check out Water - Use It Wisely's Plant of the Month feature on cactus flowers to see how these plant can add amazing color to your landscape. Get information like this and more water conservation tips straight to your inbox! Sign up for Water – Use It Wisely's enewsletter and you'll even have a chance to win a $50 gift card. Winners are announced every month!
- Empty glass candle jars: These cannot be recycled in the blue barrel program. Only bottles and jars that contained a food or beverage when purchased are eligible in the blue barrel program. Try to reuse those other glass jars for fun crafts!
- Egg cartons: It depends. Styrofoam egg cartons are not acceptable and must go into the black/trash barrel. However, plastic and paperboard egg cartons can be put into the blue barrel. Note to self: Purchase eggs only in paperboard or plastic cartons.
OTHER LOCAL EVENTS!
- Free Gardening Workshop: Preparing for Summer, Sat. May 20, 9-11 a.m. at the St. Vincent DePaul Urban Farm, 420 W. Watkins St, Phoenix. The program will cover watering schedules, hot composting and more. Presented by the Community Gardeners of Phoenix and Maricopa County and Sponsored by Valley of the Sun United Way and St. Vincent DePaul. For questions or more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Register here.
- Green Building Lecture Series by City of Scottsdale: June 1, 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. Re-purposed Materials: Finding Treasures for Reuse.
- Arcadia Edible Garden Tour – See how a group of local edible food gardeners are continuing their local farming tradition in the urban setting. Tickets sell out! May 7, 8 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Learn more about our sustainability programs!
- Follow me on Twitter, https://twitter.com/LivingGreenMesa
- Learn more about our water conservation and recycling programs
- Sign up for this newsletter (and our watering reminder) at our eNotifications page.