Living Green Events for July
$$$ JULY $ustainability $avings Tip $$$
DRAB TO FAB BACKYARD REHAB Four steps to take your yard from drab to fabulous
- Read our July Sustainability Savings Tip [PDF}
- Watch our 10-part video series
- Who won this year’s Drab to Fab contest?
~ MARK YOUR CALENDAR ~
Aug. 12: SRP Shade Tree Planting Workshop – Get two free shade trees from SRP to reduce cooling costs, improve air quality and lower the urban heat effect without using a lot of water! You’ll also learn about planting and caring for trees. RSVP because it fills up quickly. Two classes, 8 or 10 a.m. at Mesa Community College Dobson Campus. Those who attend the class can pick up their free trees on Sept. 16 to plant in their yard – a cooler time to plant. (Note: There is also a Phoenix workshop on July 29).
Aug. 7 – Aug. 30 – Smartscape is a training program for landscape professionals taught by the University of Arizona Cooperative Extension and sponsored by Valley cities including Mesa. Are you looking for a landscaper? A directory of Smartscape Trained professionals is also available. Smartscape graduates have 20 hours of professional landscape training in the areas of irrigation, plant material, planting, design, plant problems (and solutions) as well as pest management. Check out how to select landscape professionals.
~ SUSTAINABILITY NEWS ~
Imagine Mesa wants your ideas for our future - Imagine Mesa is a new program designed to engage our residents in shaping a vision for our future. You are encouraged to go online to submit, discuss and support ideas that focus on five topics and one is Mesa’s Green Future. Check it out!
Water Resources wants you to Know Your H2O – Did You Know that Mesa provides water to more than 460,000 people? The City of Mesa Water Resources Department has a public education and outreach campaign to help Mesa residents learn more about the quality, reliability, and value of the water services they receive.
Meet Paul M. from Tempe – Water – Use It Wisely’s Drab to Fab Backyard Rehab winner! A record-breaking 11,576 Maricopa County residents entered for this $9K makeover package. We can’t wait to start working on this one.
MESA URBAN GARDEN (MUG) NEWS!
(Located at 212 E. 1st Ave.)
- Lease a bed today for ½-price through December. Plant a summer monsoon garden or be ready for the fall season. Contact Laurie at 480-202-3022 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Have you seen the Little Free Library at MUG? Take a book – Return a book. Actually, we NEED books. Ready to recycle some at home? Just drop off at the library.
- Do you have clean (& pesticide-free) leaf or flower litter from your trees? MUG could use the material for their compost operation. Leave bags in the back service area or call Laurie at 480-202-3022 if questions.
Learn more at www.facebook.com/MesaUrbanGarden
++ BONUS TIPS ++
It WILL rain again… it WILL rain again… it’s been 57 days since our last rain. Are the monsoon’s coming? Be optimistic and check out our rainwater harvesting page. When it rains, it pours… and it’s free!
CORDIA is the Plant of the Month, check out the heat-tolerant plant with papery white flowers that make you feel cooler in summer.July is SMART irrigation Month. Learn about resources, how to hire a pro, how to water and more.
IT’S THE PERFECT TIME TO KILL YOUR GRASS! Converting your grass to Xeriscape in summer is best because it's easiest to kill the grass when it is actively growing. Mesa has resources to help:
- Find out about our $500 rebate.
- Check out our Top 10 reasons to take out your grass.
- Learn more about Xeriscape at the Water – Use It Wisely toolkit page, then click on "Landscape Care & Guides."
IT’S SWIMMING POOL SEASON!
- Drain or backwash your pool while protecting the environment.
- 2,600 gallons a month is lost to evaporation in summer. Check out our Water Saving Tips to Keep the Splash in Your Pool
- 5 Ways to Cut Pool Water Loss is a blog with some great tips.
- Is your pool leaking? Check out SRP’s helpful video on how to do a simple bucket to check your pool for leaks.
Can it be RECYCLED? Wondering about those odd items? Dental hygiene isn't very recyclable as it turns out. Toothbrushes, toothpaste tubes and plastic dental floss containers are NOT ACCEPTED in the blue barrel. However, mouthwash bottles (plastic or glass) can be placed into the blue barrel to be recycled. Otherwise, check out this Earth 911 article for alternatives.
OTHER PROGRAMS CLOSE BY
Aug. 17: Desert Edibles Master Gardener Kelly Athena will show you how to identify, when to harvest and how to preserve natural foods such as barrel cactus, desert lavender, and creosote.. The cost to attend is $20.
Aug. 31 SHADE (Southwest Horticulture Annual Day of Education) is a conference and marketplace for landscape and nursery professionals. It will be held on at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort in Phoenix. Topics include design, trees, irrigation and pest management taught by some of the best local experts.
- Learn more about our sustainability programs!
- Follow me on Twitter, https://twitter.com/LivingGreenMesa
- Learn more about our water conservation and recycling programs
- Sign up for this newsletter (and our watering reminder) at our eNotifications page.