Groundbreaking ceremonies were conducted on the same
day - July 16, 1941 - for both Falcon Field and Williams
Field that served as World War II pilot training bases
and now serve Mesa and the East Valley in different
capacities. Arizona's dry climate and open spaces made
it an ideal choice for training air troops.
Falcon Field opened in September 1941 as a military
airport to train British Royal Air Force and U.S. Army
Air Force pilots. The first training flight was an
American-made Boeing PT-17 "Stearman" biplane.
In 1948 the federal government deeded the property to
the City of Mesa as a municipal airport. The City
contracted daily operations through a private operator
until 1968, when it assumed this responsibility. Falcon
Field includes a total of 784 acres owned by the City.
The primary one-square-mile airport campus is located
between Greenfield, Higley, McDowell and McKellips roads
in northeast Mesa.
Today, Falcon Field is a general aviation (GA) reliever
airport that serves as an alternative for civilian and
military aviation uses such as business, recreation, and
fixed-wing and helicopter flight training so that
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport and
Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport (formerly Williams Field,
located in southeast Mesa near the Loop 202 Freeway and
Power Road) can focus on international and domestic
commercial airline services.
Air space around Falcon Field is managed by the Federal
Aviation Administration (FAA). In 2011 there were more
than 229,000 total aircraft operations (take-offs and
landings) at the airport.
Click on a thumbnail
below to see the larger picture.
These are large files and may take a little time to
load. They have not been reduced in size so you
can save them and look at them up close or print them
out at a high quality.
August 1, 1941
English Air Men Coming
February 20, 1943
Falcon Field Unit Praised
June 10, 1963
A Major City Asset
FALCON - Where a Hollywood
contact helped win a war
Falcon Field Beginnings
AAHS Journal - American Aviation Historical Society
Volume 30, Number 3, Fall 1985, Page 175