Prevention Frequently Asked Questions
- How long does my smoke detector last
and when should I replace it?
- The 9 volt battery in your smoke
detector should be changed on a yearly
basis. Smoke detectors should be replaced
every 10 years. We recommend you test them
on a monthly basis.
- Where do I get my Fire Extinguishers
serviced and how often?
- See the Yellow Pages under "Fire
Extinguishers." Fire Extinguishers should be
recertified every year, and serviced every 6
- Can I get a permit to burn trash in
- It is against City Code to burn trash or
yard clippings of any kind in your yard.
- How do I get approved to open a day
care in my home?
- For specific information contact the
City of Mesa Planning Division at
- Who do I call to report a car parked
in a fire line?
- If a car is parked in a fire lane that
is clearly marked, you may contact the Mesa
Police Department at 480-644-2211 or the
Mesa Fire Department investigator at
480-644-2622. Fire lane parking
violations can be handled by either
- Where do I dispose of hazardous
Household hazardous waste collection
events are held at various times during the
- I want to have a fire in my back
yard; how large can it be?
- Call the Mesa Fire Prevention Division
at 480-644-2622 to determine if a permit is
required and be prepared to provide the type
of event, type of fire, (i.e..cooking,
warming), the address, date, and time it
will take place.
- If I will be making tenant
improvements (building additions, adding a fire
sprinkler or alarm system) where do I call for
- Contact the City of Mesa development and
Sustainability Department at 480-644-4273.
Return to Prevention Home