We are seeking to hire competitive, visionary,
and innovative employees who enjoy challenges, are
problem-solvers, and have excellent team-working skills.
- Come work in the 3rd largest police agency in the State
- We have competitive salaries and benefits.
- We have transfer and promotional opportunities.
- After probation, lateral officers may use 50% of their
former police agency time towards the three year patrol
- Check out what we have to offer you!
- At least two years of full-time experience as a peace officer
in another state during the past three years, with at least one
year spent in patrol, not including training or administrative
- Applicants must first apply online at
Complete and submit the on-line application and
supplement. You must then print, complete and notarize the background
questionnaire packet and mail directly to: Mesa Police
Department, Attn: Police Human Resources, P.O. Box 1466, Mesa,
- Once the
application is received it will be reviewed to determine if
all of the minimum requirements for a Lateral transfer are
met. A Hiring Unit Detective will then contact the applicant
for a prescreen interview, which is usually done over the
Please refer to the out-of-state
applicant checklist regarding items that must be submitted
to the Hiring Unit upon successful completion of the
pre-screen interview. The applicant checklist can be found
by clicking on the Forms link located on the Police
Officer Lateral home page.
- Testing process will include a physical assessment test,
oral board interview, background interview, polygraph, and background investigation. If candidate
is given a conditional offer of hire, then a psychological
exam and medical exam must be completed.
- Once hired, applicant will become a City of Mesa
employee and spend approximately 1 month studying for the Arizona
Peace Officer Standards and Training (AZPOST) waiver
tests to become certified. During that month the applicant
will be meeting other criteria, such as the AZPOST driving
course, firearms course and physical fitness obstacle
- Once the applicant has successfully passed the waiver exams
and become certified, they will complete a Department
Lateral Academy for 4 weeks. This academy is to familiarize
themselves with forms, computer systems, radio system,
etc. They will then be placed into the Field Training
Program where they progress at their own individual time
- $50,960.00 - $65,436.80 depending upon experience.
Mesa Police Department
Human Resources Section
PO Box 1466
Mesa, AZ 85211