Glenwood/Wilbur Historic District

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in June 24, 1999

The Wilbur Street Historic District is found within the original Mesa town site limits and is composed of three residential subdivisions platted between 1919 and 1922. These subdivisions were created from existing blocks within the original town site plat. The district encompasses four north-south streets---Pasadena Street, Hibbert Street, Wilbur Street, and Pomeroy Street, and is bounded on the north and south by Second Street and First Street. The district is composed of residential buildings of various styles reflecting the different periods of growth in Mesa. Although the original neighborhood has suffered from some modern intrusions, it retains its original "residential" character. The land surrounding this district is either vacant or has undergone large-scale modern development. West of this district stands the Mesa Conference Center, a large hotel, arts, and convention center for the City of Mesa.

Description

Glenwood Wilbur Historict District HomeThe architectural styles within the district reflect the different period of development characteristics of the City of Mesa. The Bungalow is the most dominant architectural style in the neighborhood, which reflects the date of the subdivision plats between 1919-1922 in the height of this style of architecture. A few Revival style houses, Tudor and Pueblo, appear within the district as well. The last style of architecture represented in this district is the Ranch style. The Ranch style houses responded to the need for more housing following World War II.

 

Summary

The Wilbur Street Historic District in Mesa illustrates the early to mid-twentieth century growth in the northeast portion of the Mesa town site. This area developed into a cohesive neighborhood of middle class and working class families. The Wilbur Street Historic District is significant under National Register Criteria A in the area of Community Planning and development for its relationship to broad patterns of community development in Mesa. The Wilbur Historic District illustrates important examples of architectural style common in Arizona during the first half of the twentieth century. The Wilbur Street Historic District is considered significant under National Register Criteria C for the architectural styles and periods that it represents. The period of significance for the district starts in 1892 with the construction of the first home in the area and continues until 1948, the end of the 50-year period of significance for the National Register. The district is considered significant at the local level. 

Significance

Wilbur Street Historic District HomeThe Wilbur Street Historic District provides a good example of the subdivision process that changed Mesa from large garden lots associated with the original Mormon community to smaller lots required for more intense development. By 1922, a total of twenty-seven subdivisions of the original lots and blocks had been platted. Many of these were small, as evidenced by Stewart's subdivision of Lot 8, Block 33. While many subdivisions were platted, the three remaining in the Wilbur Street Historic District are the best examples of the early twentieth century r development of the original town site from large lots to subdivisions with smaller lots. This change was an important part of the community of Mesa, as residents required more housing than the original plan could provide. The Wilbur Historic District is an excellent example of the process of community development which changed Mesa from a pastoral, agricultural community to more closely match the growing urban populations of Phoenix, Glendale, and Tempe.

 
Historic Preservation home

Planning home

Office Hours:
7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., M - TH
Closed Fridays & Holidays

Phone:
(480) 644-4273

Location:
55 N. Center St.
Mesa, AZ  85201

Mailing Address:
PO Box 1466
Mesa, AZ 85211