Celebrate Nature - 2016
Earth Day is Friday, April 22, and Arbor Day is Friday, April 29. See below for highlights of upcoming sustainability events that contribute to making Mesa a more sustainable and green community. Whether you are planning a Climate Rally or a tree-planting just for fun, let us know by submitting your event. Check back often for green tips and upcoming events.
- We're celebrating Earth Day on April 16
- Learn More About Earth Day and Arbor Day
- Earth-Friendly Events Happening in Mesa
- Easy Things You Can Do for Earth Day
- Living Green: Earth-Friendly Advice for Home & Garden
- Online Games/Fun Links About Nature & Our Environment
|Learn more about Earth Day and Arbor Day|
EARTH DAY: On April 22, 1970, 20 million people across America celebrated the first Earth Day. Today, Earth Day is celebrated annually around the globe, and through combined efforts of grassroots organizations, and citizens like you, what started as a day of national environmental recognition has evolved into a world-wide campaign to protect our global environment. Celebrate the 45th anniversary of Earth Day by attending one of the events below.
ARBOR DAY: It has been 143 years since J. Sterling Morton founded Arbor Day. His simple idea of setting aside a special day for tree planting is now more important than ever. The 1st official Arbor Day was created by Morton and celebrated in Nebraska in 1872. In the years following that first Arbor Day, Morton's idea spread beyond Nebraska and today all 50 states celebrate Arbor Day. Find tree care information and more on our Arbor Day page.
|Earth-Friendly Events Happening in Mesa|
CycloMesa Bicycle Festival on April 1-3 includes El Tour Criterium, Bicycle Rodeo, El Tour de Mesa, family fun and more. Bring your bike!
Household Hazardous Waste Event on April 9 from 8 a.m. to Noon. Clean out the garage or your medicine cabinets (prescription drugs) and come see us at our Center Street facility at 2412 N. Center St.
Water Awareness Month April is all about water!
Bike2Work Day and Earth Day Expo: April 20, 6-8 a.m. Bicycle in or just drop by Bike2WorkDay with interactive activities, prizes and a pancake breakfast. Mesa City Plaza entrance at 20 E. Main Street in Mesa.
|Easy Things You Can Do for Earth Day|
As we count down to Earth Day we are adding a new tip each day.
BRING YOUR BIKE! CycloMesa is taking place today through Sunday. This amazing Bicycle Festival includes the El Tour Criterium (where hundreds of riders race through the streets), a Bicycle Rodeo, the El Tour de Mesa, family fun and more. It's FREE!
No foolin' with water! Do your part by taking the National Mayor's Challenge for Water Conservation at www.mywaterpledge.com. Help Mesa win the title of the "Most Water Wise" in the nation. You not only help our planet but, you will be entered to win great prizes like a 2016 Toyota Prius, $1,000 gift card and more.
Read labels when purchasing garden, automotive and cleaning products and purchase those with natural or plant-based ingredients whenever possible. Switching to safer alternatives will have a positive impact for you and your family, and will also benefit the environment. If you need to dispose of any hazardous materials, be sure to do so properly at a Mesa Household Hazardous Waste Event - our next event is coming up, Saturday April 9th!
Water your yard just the right amount by ordering our tell-all booklet, Landscape Watering by the Numbers: A Guide for the Arizona Desert. Up to 70% of your water use is outdoors and reducing your landscape use is one of the easiest ways to save water. Call for our booklet at (480) 644-3306 or visit our online version at www.wateruseitwisely.com.
- Reduce your food miles (distance your food travels from grower to plate) by planting a garden or shopping at a local farmer's market. You may also want to join a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) where you pay a local farmer an up front fee in return for a weekly basket of seasonal produce. Active markets can be found at www.arizonafarmersmarkets.com. To find a CSA near you visit www.localharvest.org.
- Skip the plastic grocery bag. Use a reusable one instead. If you do use plastic grocery bags, please remember to recycle them at your local retailer. Due to sorting limitations, plastic bags ARE NOT accepted in Mesa's blue barrel.
- Learn how to properly Drain or Backwash your Pool while protecting the environment. We have the details!
Mesa Urban Garden (MUG) is a local community garden in downtown Mesa. Bed rentals are available or you can volunteer to work a communal garden bed that donates food to local shelters. Learn more about MUG or about other community gardens in Mesa!Do something nice for wildlife!
SAVE RESOURCES. Have you heard of THE STUFF-BRARY?? Mesa Library is at it again with another fantastic idea. Check out bike locks, croquet sets, play at the park kits, and cake pans! How cool is that?
Paper, plastic, cans and more! Learn about Mesa's many recycling programs by visiting www.mesarecycles.org.
Check out our April Sustainability Savings Tip to learn about the Top 10 Ways to make a positive impact on the planet. It's easier than you think.
Wondering how to save water in the landscape? Turn the water off when it rains. We'll show you how in our April Landscape Watering Reminder.
Speaking of rain, we have a great site overflowing with great ideas on how to rainwater harvest in your landscape at Water - Use It Wisely.
Did you know that old clothing and shoes (too worn to donate) can now be recycled at specific locations? Learn more at mesarecycles.org.
Count how many water-saving tips you already implement out of the 100 available at www.wateruseitwisely.com. While there, check out the online water audit and lots of tips to save water in your landscape.
Southwest Monarch Study is a nonprofit group who encourages Monarch Butterfly conservation. Learn more about them and see what you can do to help by growing butterfly plants.
Love a sense of accomplishment? Then you'd love composting.... and watching your kitchen scraps turn into black gold for the garden or landscape. Mesa will give you a composter for $5. Learn more about this program!
Did you know that we'll send you Sustainability Tips each month right to your inbox? Just sign up at our eNotifications page and click on "Living Green." While there you may also want to sign up for our monthly "Landscape Watering Reminder."
Is your backyard needy, dated, desolate, embarrassing or hopeless? Then you need to enter into the Drab to Fab Backyard Rehab contest! One lucky winner will win a landscape makeover valued at $8,000. Enter now through May 16!
Arbor Day is Friday, April 29! We'll be reading The Lorax to 24 Third Graders at Mesa Public Schools. What will you do for Arbor Day? We have ideas for you on our Arbor Day page.
HAPPY EARTH DAY!
|Online Games/Fun Links About Nature & Our Environment
Check out these fun games and activities about trees from the Arbor Day Foundation.
- To learn about Arizona's Natural Wonders and Wildlife, visit this site from Arizona Governor, Doug Ducey.
- The Water - Use It Wisely Kids Page features interactive games like Tip Tank, the Water Family, Mission H2O and more. You'll also find lots of lesson plans for students and teachers.
- The Environmental Kid's Club features games about water, recycling and the environment on this site sponsored by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- Visit Going Green at the Phoenix Zoo to help conserve and preserve our world for future generations. Learn how to make earth-friendly cleaning products and many other green tips.
- Learn to save energy with Tinker Bell and her friends at a site by the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Disney's Friends for Change Project Green site is helping kids help the planet.
- Find interactive games about land, earth and water on this NASA site.
- The alliance to save energy teaches you how to defeat Energy Hogs.
- Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum – Especially for Kids.
- Mesa's Solid Waste Management Department has fun activities "just for kids."
- Check out these SRP Energy and Water experiments.
- Have loads of fun on this site with fun games & activities about land, water, climate change, nature & more.
- Be an ASU Ecology Explorer.
- Tread Lightly has some real fun games to play.
- Learn water facts and more at the Water Education learning center.
- Have fun with Washing Machine Basketball and Dripping Faucets at Conserve H2O.
- Got something to recycle? Search for a solution at Earth911.
- Get Wise about the environment and our limited resources.