What is the BEST Program?
A cooperative effort between the Mesa Fire and Medical Department Prevention Division and the Mesa Chamber of Commerce, the purpose of the BEST program is to increase safety in local businesses and help make Mesa a safer place to live and work through education. Trained volunteers visit low hazard businesses in our community to offer and review a free BEST checklist, identify fire and life safety hazards, and provide basic information on how to fix or correct the hazard. BEST Volunteers visit approximately 4,500 low hazard business occupancies every three years.
Why participate as a low hazard business in BEST?
- Receive a safety review of your business at no charge from a trained volunteer.
- Help you identify and understand how to resolve fire and life safety hazards found in your business.
- Confirm all of the checklist items on the fire and life safety review are met.
- Provide updated business information and emergency contacts for emergency responders.
Why participate as a volunteer for BEST?
- Gain valuable experience in the field of Fire Inspection for those looking for a future position as a Fire Inspector, or to learn more about the Mesa Fire and Medical Department!
- Put to use current or prior skills / training from the fire sciences, building construction, fire inspection, property insurance, or fire and life safety fields!
- Give back to our community while helping to make Mesa a safer place to live and work!
- Keep busy and put great communication and people skills to work!
How do I volunteer?
- Call the Program Coordinator at 480.644.4534 or email FirePrevention@mesaaz.gov to request additional information or an application.