Large items, such as furniture or mattresses, can cause a potential safety hazard if placed in a trash bin. These items can overload your container and cause it to become unserviceable.
To assist you with your disposal needs, the City of Mesa offers multi-unit communities a special collection program for these items.
Items such as refrigerators, stoves and washers can be picked up through the Appliance Recycling Program.
What items are acceptable?
- Barbeque Grills (no propane)
- Branches (bundle in 4-foot lengths)
- Cacti (place in small cardboard boxes)
- Carpet/Shelves (bundle in 4-foot lengths)
- Exercise Machines
- Furniture (tables, chairs, couches, etc.)
- Lawn Mowers (no gasoline)
- Mattresses/Bed Frames/Box Springs
- Palm Fronds
- Small Household Items (boxed or bagged)
- Small Yard Debris (grass, palm tree skins, bark, twigs, etc. - boxed or bagged)
- TVs (one large or a few small)
- Water Softeners
What items are not acceptable?
- Appliances (including microwaves and air compressors)
- Construction Materials (tile, brick, drywall, concrete, cement, gravel, rock, dirt, shingles, wood, lumber, pallets, etc.)
- Hazardous Waste
- Light Bulbs
- Propane Tanks
How much does it cost and how do I schedule a pickup?
Bulk item collection charges vary, depending on the amount of material to be picked up, and start at $22.59 per load (load size is approximately 4'x8'x4'). To schedule a bulk item pickup or for more information, please call Solid Waste at 480-644-6789. Residents may also submit an online request and a Solid Waste representative will call you within one business day to schedule the pickup.
Pickups are limited and are scheduled on a first-come, first-serve basis.
*Residents should contact their property management company directly regarding bulk item disposal options for their community.
What days are available for pick up in my area?
Bulk pickup service is provided on Mondays and Tuesdays and is determined by your location area. (If the scheduled pickup day for your area falls on a holiday, service requests will be scheduled for a Wednesday pickup.)
Preparing for a bulk item pickup
- Designate an area on your property where your residents can place their large bulky items and keep them out of your bins.
- Notify your residents of their disposal options for these types of items.
- With the increase in bed bug activity, all customers will be asked if any of their items have come in contact with bed bugs. There are no additional charges for handling these items. However, we will require that residents please follow the measures below to make our crew aware of the safety hazard.
- On a sheet of paper, conspicuously write "BB" so the message can be easily seen by our collection crew. This will ensure their safety when handling these items.
- Using strong tape, attach the paper to EACH ITEM containing bed bugs.
- If you need to cancel or reschedule, a 24-hour advance notice is required and you may do so by calling 480-644-6789. A trip fee of $11.56 will be assessed if items are not out for collection when our crew arrives.
Please avoid the following:
- Do not place dirt, rock, gravel, cement, shingles, bricks, tile, blocks, oil, paint, batteries, or any hazardous materials out for collection. City crews will not collect these items.
- Do not use bulk item service to dispose of cardboard boxes. Cardboard can be recycled. Please use your blue recycling barrel (for residents with curbside collection service) or drop it off at the nearest cardboard recycling site.
- The City of Mesa does not collect used tires. If you have automobile tires that you need to discard, bring them to our Household Hazardous Waste Collection events or contact the Maricopa County Waste Resources and Recycling office at 602-506-4006 for the nearest drop-off location.