According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Americans generate approximately 180 million tons of garbage each year. Of this, green waste (grass, leaves, plant trimmings, tree branches and prunings) represents about 18% or 32 million tons. Recycling yard waste reduces the amount of waste going to the landfills.
Why should I recycle my green yard waste?
- Potential reduction in monthly solid waste disposal costs
- Material is reused as compost, mulch and raw material for other applications
- Conserves landfill space
What are my options?
Green Barrel Program
Smaller communities with green yard waste disposal needs can take part in Mesa's green barrel program. Available in a 90-gallon capacity (45"h x 28"w x 34"d), each barrel is only $6.56 per month and is serviced on a weekly basis. Acceptable material includes grass, plant trimmings and small branches. (6-month minimum service requirement)
Green Waste Roll-off Container
Larger communities can inquire about our green waste roll-off container service which is available at a reduced roll-off rate. This container is also ideal for major landscape projects
How can I obtain a green waste container?
If you would like to participate in the program or would like more information, please call 480-644-2221.
Green waste recycling reminders
- Only place unbagged yard waste such as grass, leaves, plant trimmings, small tree branches and prunings into the green barrel. Due to the uses of the collected material and composting process, palm fronds, oleander trimmings, citrus fruit and cacti are currently not accepted in the green barrel.
- Cut tree branch limbs and trimmings into 24" sections; branch diameter should not exceed 12".
- Do not use container for lumber, trash, food waste, animal waste, metal or concrete.