Flashing Yellow Left Turn Arrows
The City of
Mesa now has 18 intersections operating with a new
type of left turn signal - the flashing yellow left turn arrow.
Flashing yellow left turn arrows exist at:
- Sossaman Road and US 60
- Gilbert Road and Inverness Avenue
- Ellsworth Road and US 60
- Signal Butte Road and US 60
- Broadway Road and Higley Road
- Country Club Drive and Juanita Avenue
- Baseline Road and Lindsay Road
- Broadway Road and Stapley Drive
- Mesa Riverview Drive/Cubs Way and Dobson
- Bass Pro Drive/Riverview Auto Drive and Dobson Road
- Ray Road North and Ellsworth Road
- Country Club Drive and Rio Salado Parkway
- Crismon Road and Madero Avenue
- Baseline Road and Loop 202 Santan Freeway
- Center Street and University Drive
- Southern Avenue and Longmore
- Southern Avenue and Stewart
- Crismon Road at Desert Ridge High School (driveway)
Flashing yellow left turn arrows will soon be installed at the
- Crismon Road and US60
- Ellsworth Road and Pecos Road
- Rio Salado Parkway and Riverview
- Rio Salado Parkway and Sheffield Ave/May
What is the benefit of the flashing yellow left turn arrow?
Use of the flashing yellow left turn arrows was recently
approved by the Federal Highway Administration after extensive
research conducted by the
National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP).
NCHRP research shows some of the benefits of the
installation of flashing yellow left turn arrows:
- High level of
understanding and correct response by left-turn drivers
(motorist may confuse the meaning of the circular green ball,
which can be mistaken as a protected left turn).
- Enables left
turn control to be varied by time of day.
- Improve safety at intersections.
How the new left turn arrows work
The new left turn signal consists of four arrows that are
used only for controlling left turning traffic. The flashing
yellow left turn arrow essentially takes the place of the
circular green ball indication for left turning drivers at the
intersection. Depending on the conditions at the intersections,
the flashing yellow left turn arrow may operate all of the time,
or for just a portion of the day when traffic volumes are light.
of Michigan Department of Transportation
image above to view video
300 E. 6th St.
Mesa, AZ 85201
City of Mesa
PO Box 1466
Mesa, AZ 85211
Monday - Thursday
7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Closed Fridays & Holidays
480-644-2262 (after hours)